Son of company co-founder James G. Slaughter, Sr., James G. Slaughter, Jr., has spent his entire career at S&B, filling both engineering and construction positions. He received his B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston and attended graduate school at the University of Toledo as well as the Program for Management Development at Harvard Business School.
James is a current member of the National Academy of Construction, past President of the Houston Area Contractors’ Safety Council, and past member of the Construction Industry Institute (CII) where he served the following roles:
- Member of the Executive Committee
- Member of the Board of Advisors
- Chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee
- Chairman of the Project Definition Rating Index research team
- Chairman of the Alignment research team
- Productivity Metrics Champion
- Member of the Nomination Committee
James has been honored with the CII’s two highest awards, the Caroll H. Dunn Award of Excellence for significant achievements in improving the engineering and construction industry and the Richard L. Tucker Leadership & Service Award for significant contribution to the advancement of CII’s mission. He also received the National Academy of Construction's Ted C. Kennedy Award for improving all aspects of the construction industry and driving positive change in the most critical areas - safety, workforce development and productivity. His roles with the National Academy of Construction include:
- Vice President
- Chairman of the Membership Committee
- Chairman of Dispute Avoidance Committee
- Member Safety Committee
- Chairman of Strategic Planning Committee
- Co-founder and core member of the National Construction Forum
Additionally, James was awarded the ECC Achievement Award, which honors those who exhibit the traits of industry leaders, such as bold risk-takers, true visionaries, and professionals of integrity who’ve had a positive, lasting impact on the business.
James has pioneered “zero accidents” safety since 1987, perhaps his greatest industry role. S&B has led the industry in safety for 20+ years, and James has freely shared S&B processes with peers. He also has put S&B on the forefront of craft training and a focus on bringing women into construction.